Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Dog in the Manger @ The Landsburgh Theater

The Shakespeare Theatre Company's latest production of the Lope de Vega comedy is inspired and, as my fellow attendee Svetlana would say, "hi-lar-i-ous". Michael Hayden and Michelle Hurd are wonderful as Teodoro and Countess Diana but they do not hold a candle to the scene-stealing Tristan played by David Turner. Turner has a comedic delivery that is spot on and underscores the brilliance of David Johnston's translation and adaptation of de Vega's work. When Tristan calls Teodoro a dick I nearly fell out of my chair from laughing so hard. I have enjoyed many comedic plays staged by the Shakespeare Theater Company as a season ticket holder but none of them actually made me guffaw like this one - kudos!

Click here to check out the official website.

No comments: